Friday, May 13, 2016
2016 INTERNATIONAL CARTOON COMPETITION with the theme "LET'S ELIMINATE the BARRIERS" - Izmir 2016
DEPARTMENT of PRESS, PUBLICATIONS and PUBLIC RELATIONS
DIRECTORATE of PROMOTION
RULES of PARTICIPATION to the
2016 INTERNATIONAL CARTOON COMPETITION with the theme
"LET'S ELIMINATE the BARRIERS"
to be realized within the context of
2016 INTERNATIONAL ACCESSIBLE İZMİR CONGRESS
1. OBJECTIVE: Izmir Metropolitan Municipality, departing with the goal to be the pioneer of accessible life, is organizing the "International Congress of People with Disabilities' Urban Issues and Their Solutions" between the dates November 2 - 5, 2016, for the second time in Turkey. ACCESSIBLE IZMIR 2016, besides being a scientific congress, also includes a variety of artistic, cultural and social activities that will bring people with disabilities into view in the daily urban life. Accordingly, a cartoon competition with the theme "LET'S ELIMINATE the BARRIERS" will be held.
10% of the world's population has a disability. They can't hear, can't see, can't walk and face multiple barriers in social life. Many people with disabilities in the world are in need of nursing, in comparison to the ones in developed countries. Most cannot attend school and are devoid of any medical support. The discrimination they are exposed to and the fact that they are ignored by society give cause for them to live "invisible".
Izmir Metropolitan Municipality, which started certain practices that lead people with disabilities to enjoy the benefits of urban life more actively and opened the first "Training and Culture Center for People with Disabilities" of Turkey, now conveys the problems of people with disabilities to the public through this international cartoon competition.
Hereby, we invite you to think on their behalf. We wholeheartedly believe that the cartoonists, who enter the competition, will make obstacles "visible" and create social sensitivity as well as social consciousness with their cartoons.
2. THEME: Theme of the Cartoon Competition is "LET'S REMOVE THE BARRIERS".
3. TYPE AND FORM OF COMPETITION: This competition, which is being prepared in accordance with the related articles of 4734 numbered Public Procurement Law and organized by taking "Regulation for Competitions of Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Urban and Regional Planning and Fine Arts" as a basis, is a free, international, single stage fine arts competition.
4. PARTICIPATION: The competition is open to all artists around the world. There are no restrictions. Each competitor is allowed to participate in the competition with a maximum 5 cartoons. The cartoons that will be sent to the competition may have been published previously; but cannot have been awarded from a competition. The cartoons that are found out to be rewarded before will be disqualified and the prize will be taken away.
5. WAY OF PARTICIPATION
5.1. Original: The drawing technique is free. The cartoons can either be colored or black and white. The cartoons to be sent should, in maximum, be as big as an A3 paper (29,7 x 42 cm). The original cartoon work will be counted as one point in favour as per the jury evaluation.
5.2. Digital (Computer based work): If the cartoon is to be drawn on the computer and sent afterwards, it should be sent with a wet signature. Photos or photocopies will not be accepted. The maximum size of the cartoons should be A3 (29,7x42 cm).
6. GENERAL CONDITIONS
6.1. Name - surname, telephone number, e-mail and mailing addresses should be written on the back side of the work. A photograph of the cartoonist, curriculum vitae, bank account (IBAN no) and identity number should be included. Applicants are obliged to fill in the participation form on http://www.engelsizmir.org/39/Yarismalar and send it together with their cartoon work.
6.2. Competitors who are under the age of 18 must participate in the competition with the permission of their parents. A document, which shows the acceptance of the conditions, must be signed by the parents and submitted to the Organizing Committee.
6.3. Participants who send cartoons to the competition are considered to have declared and committed that these works belong to themselves. Izmir Metropolitan Municipality does not accept any responsibility for permission and copyrights about the participants’ cartoons.
6.4. The cartoons can be used on different platforms (brochures, exhibitions, periodicals, calendars, etc.) by Izmir Metropolitan Municipality with the artist's name. Participants cannot demand any royalty under any circumstances and are considered to have accepted these conditions beforehand. The works of the cartoonists who did not win any prize will be sent back payable to them, so long as they apply in writing to the competition Spokesmanship subsequent to the exhibition. The Administration is not responsible of the works unless the request is made within 15 days. Prize winning works will pertain to the Administration.
6.5. Transportation (international, intercity and local), catering and accommodation expenses of the first three (first, runner up, second runner up) will be covered by Izmir Metropolitan Municipality. Regarding the other award winners (honorable mentions), Izmir Metropolitan Municipality will cover the expenses of accommodation and catering; except for transportation. Prizes of the winners who cannot attend the awards ceremony will be deposited to their bank accounts or be sent via Western Union etc. The cartoons which the Jury finds worth displaying will be exhibited. In case an album is made out of selected cartoons, the cartoonists of those works will be sent this album.
6.6. The cartoons that do not comply with the terms and conditions of the competition will be cancelled and disqualified from the competition.
6.7. The following are not eligible to enter the competition: Members of the Jury (permanent and substitute members) as well as their first degree relatives, official partners, assistants, workers and Municipal employees of Izmir Metropolitan Municipality.
7. WAY AND PLACE OF DISPUTE RESOLUTIONS
Regarding any disputes that may rise between the competitor and Izmir Metropolitan Municipality by the time between the announcement of the results and the signing of the contract, first, the arbitrage of the Jury is sought. If no result is achieved, then the Courts of Justice in Izmir will be in entitled.
8. DELIVERY ADDRESS OF THE CARTOONS
İzmir Büyükşehir Belediyesi, Basın Yayın Halkla İlişkiler ve
Muhtarlıklar Dairesi Başkanlığı, Tanıtım Şube Müdürlüğü
"Uluslararası Karikatür Yarışması"
Cumhuriyet Bulvarı No:1 Konak 35260 Izmir / Türkiye
Deadline for application: 14/07/2016
Announcement of the Results: 22/07/2016
Award Ceremony: On a date to be determined by the Administration in November, 2016.
Championship: 8.000,00 TL and Plate
Second Prize: 5.000,00 TL and Plate
Third Prize: 3.000,00 TL and Plate
3 Honorable Mentions: 1.000,00 TL and Plate
10. MEMBERS OF THE JURY, SPOKESMEN
Yoshiaki YOKOTA (Cartoonist), Musa GÜMÜŞ (Cartoonist), Massoud Shojai TABATABAİ (Cartoonist), Eray ÖZBEK (Cartoonist, İzel ROZENTAL (Cartoonist).
Ömer ÇAM (Cartoonist - Graphic Designer at Izmir Metropolitan Municipality Directorate of Promotion), Özgür SARAÇOĞLU (Graphic Designer at Izmir Metropolitan Municipality Directorate of Promotion), Betül GÜNDÜZ (Chief of Events at Izmir Metropolitan Municipality Directorate of Promotion)
Bank Account (IBAN Number):
I, hereby, declare, accept, and commit that I have completely understood all items in the specification of the International Cartoon Competition and will participate in the competition by fully accepting these conditions, and that the above written information is complete.